Basic method to enable captcha
- Login to admin panel and go to system > configuration > customers > customer configuration > CAPTCHA
(Don’t forget to select your website scope)
- Enable CAPTCHA on frontend – Yes
- Select desired forms into “Form” box like login, registration etc
- Save Config
It is simple as that but for unfortunately rwd theme don’t support captcha
So following procedures are I follow and it works for me fine
- Go Base theme/layout folder and copy the captcha.xml file code
- Paste it into your theme directory/layout/captcha.xml file in layout folder.
- Go Base theme/template and copy the captcha directory
- Paste in your theme/template folder.
Walla your captcha code will be visible again.